OUTniagara Communications Strategy Consultant Posting
Position: Communications Strategy Consultant
Tentative Start Date: December 2022
End Date: January 31, 2023 (tentatively)
Location: Niagara region
Position Type: Contract
Deadline to submit proposal: Friday, November 11, 2022 at 4:30pm ET
Summary of Role
Working with OUTniagara’s Communications Committee, Board of Directors, and Project staff where applicable, the Consultant will complete the scope of this work within an anti-oppression, anti-racism, equity, and inclusion lens to develop a multi-year external communication, marketing, and promotions strategy for OUTniagara. Most frequently the consultant will be working with the OUTniagara Communications Committee for direction and feedback, and once the strategy and tools are ready for implementation, will be presenting this work to all of the relevant bodies to move the work forward.
You do not need to have a formal consulting firm, agency, or business to be considered a qualified candidate for this position. Likewise, studies have shown that candidates from historically and currently marginalized and targeted groups are less likely to apply to opportunities unless they meet every single qualification in the posting. OUTniagara is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment so we strongly encourage you to submit even if you don’t believe you meet every single qualification outlined.
OUTniagara is committed to being an equity driven, volunteer-run organization. In addition to the personal and professional experience within Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual/pansexual, transgender, gender non-conforming/ non-binary, queer, questioning, Intersex, and asexual/ demisexual communities, the OUTniagara selection committee will be prioritizing candidates from historically and presently excluded and marginalized communities and identities, such as (but not limited to): Indigenous, Black, melanated/racialized/ those from the global majority, disabled, HIV positive, parents/ caregivers, and people with lived experience of poverty, mental illness, homelessness/ houselessness. We are seeking out the best fit for this project.
- Personal experiences within and/or extensive experience working with 2S & LGBTQQIA+ communities
- Understanding of the findings and recommendations within OUTniagara’s 2SLGBTQQIA+ Community Strengths and Needs Assessment Report
- Understanding of the geographic and demographic makeup of the Niagara region
- Understanding of multi-generational approaches to communications, marketing, and promotion
- Professional, volunteer, or other relevant experience with building communications strategies for not-for-profits, community groups, or businesses
- Understanding of communications standards outlined in the AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act)
- Experience with and working knowledge of graphic design software: Adobe Suite, Affinity, Canva is an asset
- Experience with and working knowledge of content development and analytical tracking on social media platforms
- Proficiency (written and verbal) in English. French and any additional language proficiencies will also be viewed as an asset
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary goal of the OUTniagara Communications Strategy is to use multi-generational, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist frameworks to improve outreach, connections and dialogue between OUTniagara, its membership, partner organizations, and the broader communities across Niagara. For this work, the expectation is that the plan will incorporate a range of communications strategies and materials, as well as a list of action items for both online and hard copy versions of promotion.
In particular, the Consultant will complete the following deliverables by the conclusion of their contract:
- Review past communications strategies, information reports, assets, and tools to assess current state of communications, outreach, and promotion being used by OUTniagara. Review findings and recommendations of the Community Strength and Needs Assessments as they relate to Communications for the organization.
- Collaborate with other consultants and committees within OUTniagara to ensure all components of work are integrated into the communications as necessary
- Develop work plan and implementation tools, including:
- multi-year OUTniagara Communications Strategy
- Process for assessing and revisiting the OUTniagara Communications Strategy, as needed
- Train OUTniagara Board, staff, and relevant bodies on new communications strategy and tools to ensure a successful implementation
Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments
The total amount quoted shall be the Consultant’s all-inclusive fee (professional fee, mileage, incidentals, and any other applicable cost that may be possibly incurred by the consultant in completing the assignment). OUTniagara has a limited budget for French translation/facilitation, graphic design, and printing. Any payment schedule will be agreed upon and outlined in the consultant’s contract prior to beginning the work.
As this work is generously funded through Women and Gender Equality Canada, the budget constrained to the consultant fee guidelines laid out at $750 per day. We anticipate an equivalent of 6 days and a maximum budget available of $4,500.00.
Recommended Presentation of Offer
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualification:
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability
- Personal resume, indicating all experience from similar projects as well as personal information
- Technical proposal (maximum 3 pages), including a) a brief description of why the individual considers themself as the most suitable for the assignment; and b) methodology on how they will approach and complete the assignment.
- Financial proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs
Incomplete proposals may not be considered.
Any questions can be directed to Kerry Goring or Jennifer Wallace at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Deadline for applications: Friday, November 11, 2022 at 4:30pm EDT
The Selection Committee will be contacting all applicable candidates for further discussions as necessary and providing decisions as early as November 21, 2022.
Please forward Presentation of Offer to: Kerry Goring, Co-Chair OUTniagara
Subject Line: Presentation of Offer: Communications Strategy