GOVERNANCE CONSULTANT POSITION AVAILABLE!
Charity Village link: www.charityvillage.com/jobs/governance-consultant-in-st-catharines-niagara-ontario-ca/
Tentative Start Date: ASAP
End Date: March 2022
Location: Niagara region
Position Type: Contract
Deadline to submit proposal: Friday, April 16, 2021 at 4:30pm ET
OUTniagara is a community organization that began in November 2004 with the purpose of uniting Niagara’s sexual and gender-diverse community. The mission of OUTniagara is to:
- Celebrate, inform, support and collaborate with the sexual and gender-diverse community of Niagara
- Contribute to the success of our partner organizations
- Preserve Niagara’s queer history
The values that reflect the core beliefs that guide OUTniagara’s policies, decision-making, and action are: Pride, Remembrance, Information, Diversity, and Empowerment.
Summary of Role
Working with OUTniagara’s Project Coordinator and Project Assistant, the Consultant will work within an anti-oppression, anti-racism, equity, and inclusion lens to establish board governance policies, by-laws, and organizational structure for OUTniagara.
The goals and purpose of this work is to build OUTniagara’s governance and operational capacity to effectively coordinate strong collaborations; to take forward key recommendations from a Community Strengths and Needs Assessment project that is being conducted; and ensure organizational sustainability.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant will establish board governance policies, by-laws, and long-term organizational structure for OUTniagara. The Consultant will work under the supervision of the Project Coordinator. In particular, the Consultant will:
- Conduct review of and update OUTniagara’s board policies, by-laws and organizational structure ensuring that one outcome of this review is a Board of Directors that is representative of the geographic communities and key populations we support;
- Conduct legal review of draft revised by-laws with a lawyer and make updates needed to ensure conformity with the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporation Act (2010), the Ontario Human Rights Code and additional laws and regulations, as applicable;
- Conduct 8-10 monthly half day Board governance training workshops on topics such as:
- following the Bylaws, implementing board policies, board evaluation, board development planning, succession planning, grant proposal writing;
- up to 4 additional topics as identified through the Community Strengths and Needs Assessment; and
- workshops to be conducted by the governance consultant, and the Niagara Skills Network. Others may require seeking out additional trainers;
- Prepare and publish online the board governance training tools with the OUTniagara network and on the OUTniagara website;
- Engage in board and staff mentorship in financial management systems, human resources management, and organizational change management with Positive Living Niagara (1.5 hours per week, in-kind)
- Board Buddies system developed and implemented where:
- each OUTniagara board member finding a buddy who is a board member at a partner organization with skills in a particular aspect of governance identified as critical to the health of OUTniagara (mentorship to take place over a 1-year period); and
- OUTniagara board members will subsequently train incoming board members as part of succession planning; and
- Approval of revised and updated bylaws.
** Please note that there will be a pause in this work between the drafting and review of the by-laws and policies and the training components
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community, current issues affecting our needs, lived experiences, and knowledge of programs, legislation, and supports across the Niagara region
- Cultural and SOGIE (Sexual Orientation Gender Identity and Expression) sensitivity
- Knowledge of anti-oppressive, anti-racist, and inclusive professional practices
- Extensive experience working with 2SLGBTQQIA+ communities/youth
- Sound knowledge of Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporation Act (2010), the Ontario Human Rights Code and additional laws and regulations, as applicable
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and facilitation skills
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
- The ability to speak and write French is an asset
Required Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related discipline, with a Master’s degree in a relevant field being an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in developing by-laws, policies, and organizational structure for non-profits
- Recognized expertise in facilitating groups, conducting training sessions, and a demonstrated understanding of group dynamics
- At least 5 years of work experience from any of the following areas: lived experience or allyship with the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community within the Niagara region, partnership fostering, relationship management, equity, inclusion, diversity and/or social work-related fields
Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments
The total amount quoted shall be the Consultant’s all-inclusive fee (professional fee, mileage, incidentals, and any other applicable cost that may be possibly incurred by the consultant in completing this assignment). OUTniagara has budget for French translation/facilitation, graphic design, and printing, as well as for meeting space (should we be permitted to meet in person before the end of the project). These elements do not need to be costed in the Consultant’s proposal.
Recommended Presentation of Offer
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualification:
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability
- Personal resume, indicating all experience from similar projects as well as personal information
- Technical proposal (maximum 3 pages), including a) a brief description of why the individual considers themself as the most suitable for the assignment; and b) process on how they will approach and complete the assignment.
- Financial proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs and when payments shall be made (upon completion of deliverables)
Budget range for this project = $8,000 to $9,750, inclusive of HST
Incomplete proposals may not be considered.
Please note: We strongly encourage members of all equity seeking groups within the 2SLGBTQQIA+ communities to apply. We are specifically seeking Consultants from 2SLGBTQQIA+ communities who bring lived and/or employment experience in relation to working with 2SLGBTQQIA+ communities.
Deadline for applications: Friday, April 16, 2021 at 4:30pm ET
Please forward Presentation of Offer to: Laura Ip, Project Coordinator
Subject Line: Presentation of Offer: Governance Consultant